Exercise Your Wellness Independence
Wellness - It’s not something that someone can do for you. It’s something you need to strive for and believe in. Being well isn’t about running marathons, working out every day of the week or just limiting calories to lose weight. It’s about making small changes to help improve your overall health and well-being. It’s doing what’s right for you to be at your best. Remember, small steps can lead to big results. It just takes determination and a few suggestions to get you started on the right foot.
To help you be at your best, we’re sharing a tip a day on how you can exercise your wellness independence and become a healthier you this summer.
- Make one snack today a piece of fruit.
- Pack your lunch today.
- Go for a 15 minute walk.
- Make a healthy appetizer or side dish for the family picnic.
- Go to bed 10 minutes earlier than normal.
- Replace one can of soda with a glass of water.
- Add one high fiber food to a meal.
- At work or the store, park one stall further away than you normally do.
- Add a serving of vegetables to your lunch or dinner.
- Try a new activity like swimming, golf, gardening, tennis.
- Take five minutes to read, listen to music or do something just for yourself.
- Take part in an outdoor activity like horseshoes, bocce ball, Frisbee golf, or badminton.
- Eat breakfast.
- Apply sunscreen before going outside today.
- Try a healthy grilling recipe for dinner tonight.
- Set a wellness goal for the week.
Check to make sure your vaccinations are up-to-date.
Find a walk/run in your community and sign up to participate or plan on cheering on the participants.
- Wherever you go today, use the stairs.
- Compliment a co-worker or write a note to someone you haven’t talked with in a while.
- Wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun today.
- Drink an extra glass of water to stay hydrated.
- Learn more about the recommended preventive care services for you.
- Take a coworker for a walk around the block.
- Substitute a healthy alternative into a meal today. (For example, instead of using 2% or whole milk try 1% or skim milk.)
Check your stress level today.
- Try stretching at your desk or workstation.
- Try eating a healthy snack today instead of a tempting treat like a cookie or cupcake.
- Play a board game with a friend or family member.
- Try not to eat after 8 pm today.
- When you have a question for a coworker today, walk over to their desk or workspace instead of calling or emailing.